Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:38:30 -0400
From:      "Jim Stapleton" <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie help!

rehash? Cool, thanks, that'll be useful if I have to reinstall in the
future. At some point does this automatically get run after ports are
built? I knotice things get rehashed automatically after my first few
port builds, it's only the first few that cause the problem. (I
usually do bash, links/lynx, porgupgrade, and a couple others, in
semi-random order at first).

On 4/10/06, Andy Greenwood <greenwood.andy@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >   The base directory off which everything can be found.
> >
> > /bin/
> > /usr/bin/
> > /usr/local/bin/
> >   The location of most executable files.
> >
> > /sbin/
> > /usr/sbin/
> > /usr/local/sbin/
> >   various server/administrative executable files are located in these
> > directories
> >
> > /dev/
> >   This directory gives file-like access to hardware devices, and is
> > one of those things you'll need to learn over time.
> >
> > /etc/
> > /usr/local/etc/
> >   All of the text files that configure the OS are here
> >
> > /home/
> >   The directory containing each users information, with the user name
> > as the sub directory with the information for each individual user.
> >
> > /usr/
> >   This directory contains various shared pieces of data used
> > throughout the operating system. It's a bit more complex than the
> > rest, so I won't go into a lot of detail.
> >
> > /usr/local
> >   This is like /usr/, and "/" except it has the "test" or "add-on" file=
> only.
> >

> > now to try getting you to a point where you can reference the
> > handbook, which is an excellent source of documentation.
> >
> > First, see which web browser you have installed for text viewing:
> > $ which links
> > $ which lynx
> >
> > if either of these returns something (such as /usr/local/bin/links ),
> > you can skip to the "=3D=3D read the handbook =3D=3D" section, otherwis=
> > continuw with the "=3D=3D ports crash course =3D=3D" section.
> >
> > =3D=3D ports crash course =3D=3D
> >
> > first you want to get to the directory of a web browser, I'm slightly
> > more comfortable with lynx than links, so I'll show you how to get
> > ther:
> >
> > change your directory to the lynx port: all ports are under
> > /usr/ports, then there are several sub-directories in there which hold
> > various programs, related to the group name. Example: "www" has web
> > related programs.
> > $ cd /usr/ports/www/lynx/
> >
> > now you want to install your web browser, running "make install" in a
> > program directory within ports will download, install and compile the
> > program (provided there are no errors).
> > $ make install
> > now clean up the work since you don't need it anymore
> > $ make clean
> > verify you have lynx installed, I noticed sometiems in earlier
> > installs, I had to log out and log back in before this would work (or
> > start a new shell, log out and back in will be easier for a newbie):
>

> Your shell most likely is keeping a hash of what commands it knows about.
> When you install a new one, the hash isn't updated automaticall, so if yo=
> log out and back in, it will get updated and you'll see the new command. =
The