Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:39:08 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH for a more-POSIX `ps', and related adventures

At 12:22 AM +0100 3/21/04, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:
>>  So, what BSD had a `-g' option which behaved like `-A'?
>
>SunOS, at least.  In Solaris, there is still a difference between
>'/usr/ucb/ps uxw' and '/usr/ucb/ps guxw'.

Ah.  I have solaris here, but never think to run /usr/ucb/ps.

Interesting.  So, the writeup in SUSv3 is at least somewhat
confusing, if not wrong.  When describing -A vs -a, it says:

-a
     Write information for all processes associated with terminals.
     Implementations may omit session leaders from this list.
-A
     Write information for all processes.

And later it says:

     The -A option is equivalent to the BSD -g and the SVID -e.

but that "BSD -g" does not *select* all processes, it just adds
the appropriate session-leader processes to whatever you have
selected via other options.  So, that `-g' operates like `-x'.
And the implementation of `-A' on solaris and linux indicates
that they read the above the same way I did, which is to say
that `-A' causes *every* process on the system to be displayed.
And this does seem to be the same as "SVID -e".

I'm not sure what to think about that, but it's interesting to
make a note of it.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =3D   gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu