Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2017 10:28:35 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bhyve / jails network response

I am experimenting with a jailed application, Drupal, hosted on a
BHyve VM.  Presently this jail responds only to an private IP. Our DNS
is set up to respond to the domain name given to this jail and the
reverse zone is also set up to properly return the domain assigned to
that IPv4.

When I ping this address using either the domain or the IP from our
LAN I get an immediate response.  However, when I ssh into the jail
then it seems to take a significant period of time before I get a
prompt. I would like to determine the source of this delay.

It is an artefact of running a jail on a VM?

It is an artefact of sshd running in a jail?

It there a DNS issue somewhere?

Is running jails on a VM a generally poor implementation choice. In
other words should one use either Jails on the hardware host or VMs
but not try an run jails within a VM?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3