Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:30:55 -0600
From:      "Michael Alexander" <malexand@milwaukeevalve.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help with Mylex Acceleraid250(DAC960) install

Hello,

  I am trying to install FreeBSD4.9 (or 5.1 even) on a system that uses =
Mylex Acceleraid250 (DAC960 driver) without success.  The install CD =
hangs
when it attempts to spin up the drives on the raid, waiting 15 seconds =
for
scsi devices to settle is the last message on the screen.  I found that
there is a similar problem with RH9, but that they have a work around, =
which
involves recompiling the kernel and remaking the installation CDs.  I =
have
the instructions for RH9, but I was hoping to be able to use FreeBSD.  =
If I
can't get it installed though, I will have to go to RedHat instead.
http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/rh9_update.htm is the instructions, it =
is
just a simple changing of two kernel options.  Is this possibly the same
reason that I cannot install FreeBSD?  The two kernel options to be =
changed
are the following:

    # CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
    # CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC is not set

Change them to:

    CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=3Dy
    CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=3Dy

If so, are there instructions like the RH ones?  I have never used =
FreeBSD
before, I have used RH7 and 8.  Since RH is not really offering itself =
free
anymore, I thought I would give FreeBSD a try, and it also appears that
FreeBSD is abit more current in its packages than RH has been.  I do =
have
another machine I can install onto to make the changes.  Since this =
system
is going to be a mail server for the company, we want to be able use =
RAID
for the entire system including boot.  The system is fully up to date on
bios and firmware for both MB and raid card.

Thank you,
Mike