Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:30:13 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drive Recommendations?

Greg Lehey writes:
> On Thursday, 24 December 1998 at 13:03:51 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> > IMHO a much better value is the Conner 4326 DDS-2 drive for $399 (2G to
> > 4G, more if compression works for you)
>
> Compression should work on all FreeBSD systems.

Oops, that's certainly one way to read what I wrote. Was thinking more
along the lines of, "if what you are writting is compressable."

Once Upon A Time, I did a "dd if=/dev/zero obs=64k of=/dev/rst0" to a
DDS-1 tape in a DC drive just to see what happened. 88G later the 90m
tape was full. Guess compression works.  Altho manually I could
compress more than 88G of zeros into one little email message.  :-)

> Recall that this is now quite an old drive.  They were being sold off
> surplus two years ago.

Yes, its an old design. And new old stock is still available. But it is
inexpensive, and it does work well. New DDS-3 drives are under $1k and
run at least 3 times faster.

> I thought that Archive bought Conner and was then bought by Seagate,
> and that all these drives are quite old.

As I remember history, Conner bought Archive and proceeded to plaster
the Conner name on all of Archive's products. Then Seagate bought Conner
and left whatever name was on whatever product. This summer I got the
DAT programming guide from Seagate, was labeled "Conner". Rarely does
the purchasing company drop their own name and assume the aquisition's
name. But anything is possible...

An SGI R10K Challenge L at work is about 2 years old. Came OEM with a
Seagate S??-8000 DDS-2 DC tape drive of the current generation.
Stickers on the drive also identify it as a Conner, and as an Archive
4326. Suspect what those stickers are really saying is this drive is
the current replacement for those older products.