Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:27:38 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        gestur@islandia.is (Gestur A. Grjetarsson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, admin@islandia.is
Subject:   Re: users - groups

Gestur A. Grjetarsson stands accused of saying:
> There is one problem I seem to be facing, and it's conserning
> max. users in one group, there seems to be, after I've added
> approx 150 users to the user group, after 150 counts, the group
> seems to be "full"

There is a bug in the 'adduser' program supplied with FreeBSD that results
in every user being listed in the group file for their default group.
This is redundant, and causes problems because the library functions that
manage the group file have a limited buffer (1024 bytes) for reading lines.

> Is there anyone who has some info on the group, is there any way for
> me to allow group to register more than 150 max users, without having
> to add new group for each 150 user count ??

Remove all of the usernames listed against their default group (the default
group is listed in the password file).

Also, 40 is a really bad number to use as the GID for your 'users' group.
Pick something much higher (1000 or more), as the low group numbers are
often used for other things.

>   Gestur A. Grjetarsson           gestur@islandia.is

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[