Date:      Sun, 02 Dec 2001 13:04:38 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel compile error for last few days

Wes Santee wrote:

> Greetings all.  I've been trying to build a -STABLE kernel for the past
> few days, and have been running into the same compile error.  cvsup's
> aren't appearing to fix the problem, but I haven't seen anyone else post
> with this error, so I'm guessing the problem is me (bad cvsup'd file is
> my guess).  However, I don't really know where to look for the problem.
>
> Here's what I'm doing (running a FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE system from a few
> weeks ago):
>
> 1)  cvsup cvs-supfile (I get the whole 'src' cvs tree)
> 2)  newfs my /usr/src and /usr/obj partitions
> 3)  checkout the RELENG_4 branch
> 4)  make buildworld
> 5)  make installworld
> 6)  make KERNCONF=MYCONF buildkernel

If you look at /usr/src/UPDATING, this isn't the order you are told to
do it in. Now you have a userland that could be incompatible with your
kernel. You really should switch 5 to the end.

> Everything before 6 works just fine with no errors.  Step 6 gives me
> this (snipped for space considerations):
>
> ===> wi
> [...]
> cc -c -pipe  -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
> -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
> -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I/usr/src/sys
> -I/usr/src/sys/../include -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter  -D_KERNEL
> -include opt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
> -fomit-frame-pointer /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/atomic.c
> In file included from /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/atomic.c:47:
> machine/atomic.h: In function `atomic_set_char':

 From a cvsup of RELENG_4 early this morning (2am PST), I did a system
upgrade on two machines. They didn't have any problems. Atomic.c was
compiled just fine

cc -c -O -pipe  -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
-Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-
arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I.
-I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/../inc
lude -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter  -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h
-elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fom
it-frame-pointer /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/atomic.c
cc -c -O -pipe  -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
-Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-
arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I.
-I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/../inc
lude -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter  -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h
-elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  /us
r/src/sys/i386/i386/autoconf.c

--
Kent Stewart