Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:26:42 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, mbendiks@eunet.no
Subject:   Re: panic running linux binaries from ext2fs

"Mark W. Krentel" wrote:

> I don't normally have any Freebsd binaries on my Linux partitions.
> But as a test, I copied a few and ran them.  It wasn't a real stress
> test, but ls, emacs, xv and xsnow all seemed to run ok on ext2fs.
> So, I guess that's not the problem.

Thanks.

> It seems to require the combination of a Linux binary and ext2fs.
> And it's not a complicated Linux binary.  I can produce the panic
> with Linux's ls.  On the other hand, I have successfully run the
> Linux versions of emacs and netscape, as long as all the files are
> on ufs.

ls might be a special case in that it may have too much FS dependent
code. A kernel trace should tell us more...

> Are there any configuration options for the Linuxulator that I might
> have set wrong?  I blew away /compat/linux and reinstalled linux_base,
> just to make sure it wasn't any additional libs that were the problem.

You shouldn't need any options.

> Is Linux emulation or ext2fs sensitive to any kernel options (other
> than EXT2FS)?  I'm not using soft updates, if that matters.

The linuxulator currently still depends on COMPAT_43, but that's about
it, I guess.

If you can send us the last dozen of lines of a ktrace/truss session,
then we can start working on this...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org