Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:54:09 +0900
From:      Watanabe Kazuhiro <CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ptmdm - PCTel HSP MicroModem driver for FreeBSD

Hi, all.

I've ported the PCTEL Driver for Linux Version 0.9.7-9 to FreeBSD,
named "ptmdm".

 http://homepage2.nifty.com/dumb_show/unix/PCTel-FreeBSD.en.html

The ptmdm driver provides support for the modems based on the PCTel
PCT789T chipset.

This driver set mainly consists of two parts.  Binary objects that are
pre-compiled for Linux kernel, and ptmdmsio.c - a wrapper source
mostly derived from ltmdmsio.c in ports/comms/ltmdm.

Unfortunately, the ptmdm driver supports the PCT789T chipset only.
But the original Linux driver set also supports other chipsets -
Intel ICH1(i810)/ICH2(i820)/ICH3(i845) (and maybe ICH4(i855)), C-MEDIA
CM8738, SiS 7013 (SiS540 etc.), and VIA VT82C686(ApolloPro133A etc.).

So I think that we may be able to work these unsupported chipsets on
FreeBSD.  These chipsets use diferrent binary objects and initialize
code from the PCTel chipset.

If you have these hardware and want to work that, you must add a
proper initialize/detection code (refer to the original Linux driver
source) and select appropriate binary objects.

Good luck!
---
Watanabe Kazuhiro (CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp)