Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2010 22:05:36 +1030
From:      Matt Thyer <matt.thyer@gmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is /boot updated by "make installkernel" or by "make installworld" ?

Background

I'm running a ZFS FreeBSD-STABLE system on Western Digital 2TB EARS models
green drives.
These are the so called "Advanced Format Drives" that use a 4KiB block size
internally but lie about this to the operating system and claim to use 512
byte blocks.
This causes all sorts of performance issues so after some experimentation I
ended up creating my ZFS pool directly on gnop 4KiB block size devices on
top of the raw disks themselves.
To avoid having to run a separate boot disk, I've used a work around of a
1GB USB stick which contains just /boot with the /boot/kernel directory
containing only "kernel", "opensolaris.ko", "zfs.ko" & "aio.ko" (for samba
3.4 using async I/O).  This requires only 14MB on the USB stick and boots
nicely with the USB /boot/loader.conf telling the kernel to mount root from
the ZFS pool.
P.S. Don't forget to use DOS "wdidle3" to increase the 8 second head parking
timeout up to 5 minutes with these drives.

Now how to update the system ?

My update world script follows the recommended procedure in the source
Makefiles for updating the system and does an install kernel before
rebooting into single user mode to install the new world (via an /etc/rc.d/
script).

So my question relates to when I should update my USB stick's /boot
directory.

I'm assuming that the /boot directory should be owned by the kernel and
could be updated by a "make installkernel" (which is what I do after
building the world but before my reboot into single user to install the
world).

Is my assumption correct ?
i.e. does a "make installkernel" replace the contents of "/boot" ?

or is "/boot" updated by a "make installworld" ?

Matt.