Date:               Fri, 22 Sep 1995 08:55:40 -0600
From:      "Sean McGee" <SMMCGEE@topaz.ncbc.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Bootps question....

system: FreeBSD 2.0R

I'm having problems with bootps occassionally failing to assign clients
their address.  This problem occures three or four times a day. After a
failure I notice the following.

"Sep 11 12:04:41 jasper kernel: arplookup 0.0.0.0 failed: host is not on local
network"

The client will then keep trying to get an address, but eventually
time-out.

In /etc/inetd.conf I have the following line to startup bootps when
it recieves a request:
bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/bootpd  bootpd -t1

Is this correct? Is their a known problem with the 2.0R version of
bootps?

( I am using Winsock 2.0 with it's bootp request capability)

Thanks for your help.
-sean

Sean McGee
smmcgee@ncbc.edu