Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 16:25:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      peterg@znet.com
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems Booting With EIDE Controller

Help!

I'm having problems booting up on a system with FreeBSD installed on a EIDE
controller. The system is configured as:

EIDE Controller
1.2GB Hard Drive (Drive #1)
FreeBSD Slice (500MB) with 3 partitions (/ - 20MB, /usr - 440MB, swap - 60MB)

The problems are the following:

- I've installed BootMgr, and when I select the FreeBSD slice to boot off of, I
get the boot prompt, but can't do anything else. I get a prompt (|) but the
system locks up.

- If I go to re-install, I see that the FreeBSD slice is still around and the
partitions have their original allocation. But, the installer doesn't see the
mountpoints in any of the partitions.

What's wrong? Will FreeBSD work on a drive >528MB?