Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:50:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/48482: using deprecated sysctl option in FAQ

The following reply was made to PR docs/48482; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To: "Denis N. Peplin" <info@volginfo.ru>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:49:20 +0200

 On 2003-02-20 13:19, "Denis N. Peplin" <info@volginfo.ru> wrote:
 > from
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOPPYMOUNT
 > # sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
 >
 > and from man sysctl:
 > The -w option has been deprecated and is silently ignored.

 Well, just to be on the safe side here, since the FAQ is supposed to
 document stuff for previous versions too, can we leave it there?  Or
 perhaps, add a small note that "versions of FreeBSD newer than 4.4
 don't need -w to work".

 NOTE: I haven't checked when -w was deprecated on the 4.X branch, but
 we can do that later, if this looks a nice idea, I guess.