Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:11:28 GMT
From:      Salvador Fandino <sfandino@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sparc64/118431: sysinstall stalls at "Located INDEX..."

>Number:         118431
>Category:       sparc64
>Synopsis:       sysinstall stalls at "Located INDEX..."
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Hi,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 7.0-Beta3 in a SunBlade 100 (mem: 512MB, cpu: 500MHz), but the installation process stalls at the "Located INDEX, now reading package data from it..." screen.

Running top in another console shows that CPU consumption at that screen goes slowly increasingly from a few percent to 99%. It looks like if a non-linear cost algorithm was used to process the index.

I have tried to install a couple of times with different package configuration (mostly all and x-user) with the same result.

Cheers,

 - Salva

(I had already sent this bug report to the "bugs" mailing list)