Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:21:19 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Karlsson Mikael HKI/SOSV <mikael.karlsson@hel.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re:Re: Cat a directory

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:06:00AM +0300, Karlsson Mikael HKI/SOSV wrote:

> Try to run for example "cat /bin" in Linux, HP-UX, Solaris and other
> *NIXes and I'm 90% certain that they will not show the directory but
> an error message saying something.

"cat /bin" on Solaris 9 does exactly the same thing as on FreeBSD; shows
the contents of the directory, just like you're asking it to.  Just because
you can't fathom a use for this behavior doesn't mean it's wrong.  If
you don't want to see it, don't ask "cat" to show it to you.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *