Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:47:16 -0600
From:      james@colannino.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Static IP on a Bridge

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late response.  Got sidetracked during the New Year.
Below is my response:

Quoting Benjamin Lee <ben@b1c1l1.com>:

> On 12/29/2011 09:21 AM, james@colannino.org wrote:
>> Quoting Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>:
>>
>>> What's the error message you see when you fail to ping out?
>>
>> ping: cannot resolve google.com: Host name lookup failure
>
> It seems that you are currently receiving your resolver from DHCP as
> well, you should statically configure that in /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

I already have nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf.  Everything was fine
before I setup the bridge.

>>> What does the routing table (netstat -r) look like before and after DHCP?
>>
>> Before DHCP:
>>
>> Routing tables
>>
>> Internet:
>> Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
>> localhost          link#11            UH          0        0    lo0
> [...]
>
> What happens if you run 'route add default 192.168.1.1' instead of DHCP?
>
> What is the output of '/etc/rc.d/routing restart'?

[root@frodo ~]# route add default 192.168.1.1
route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add net default: gateway 192.168.1.1: Network is unreachable

[root@frodo ~]# /etc/rc.d/routing restart
route: writing to routing socket: No such process
delete net default: gateway 192.168.1.1: not in table
delete net ::ffff:0.0.0.0: gateway ::1
delete net ::0.0.0.0: gateway ::1
delete net fe80::: gateway ::1
delete net ff02::: gateway ::1
ifconfig: interface auto does not exist
route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add net default: gateway 192.168.1.1: Network is unreachable
add net ::ffff:0.0.0.0: gateway ::1
add net ::0.0.0.0: gateway ::1
add net fe80::: gateway ::1
add net ff02::: gateway ::1