Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:35:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, nate@mt.sri.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: callouts in CAM (was Re: cvs commit:)

> >There is no reason not to watermark the free pool.  It has the advantage
> >that you can return memory to the system, and allocations can occur in
> >page units.
>
> Sure, but that is not the case for the timeout and untimeout interface,
> which, if you recall is what we are talking about.  If a client calls
> timeout and there are not entries left, and a new one cannot be allocated,
> the interface does not allow this error to be propagated to the client.
> If, on the other hand, the client is responsible for allocating it's
> entry before it is used, the client can be smart about the failure.
>
> I don't want to change all of the clients of the timeout interface to make
> them handle a resource failure.

OK.  My feeling was "in for a penny, in for a pound", meaning that if
you change the interface, you might as well do everything you could
want to it at once.  Including propagating resource failure to the
client.

> I only want to modify the "heavy users"
> and leave a common pool for other users of the interface.

This is kind of at odds with the lack of a compatability interface...
which isn't a terribly large problem, in itself.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.