Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:05:30 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: freebsd bios.

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> here's what we can. Somebody send a kernel for an L440GX+ that has pretty
> minimal stuff. I'd prefer it to have IDE, no networking, no SCSI, i.e. a
> pretty small thing. I'll try to use it as the payload for linuxbios and
> see if it boots.

I'm cc'ing Mike here so he can correct me if I'm wrong, but... it seems
loader(8) is actually what you need? If it can boot loader(8), and the
storage where the rest of the system is located is BIOS-accessible, then
that ought to be enough.

I'd suggest taking a look at pxeloader, which is, to a certain extent,
the same thing you are doing.

> The key is that freebsd may need to change a few things to make it
> bootable from cold hardware. I don't think this is for sure, but it may
> happen. I hope the team is receptive to such changes ...

We have never been in a position where we can dictate what the hardware
specifications we'll be booting from are. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		"He is my minion, so he doesn't need a name."