Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:43:29 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minipcie wifi card

On 5 January 2012 15:33, Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz> wrote:

> Habey have two atheros Mini-PCIe cards:
>
> http://www.habeyusa.com/products_show.php?id=3D361 -- HB-NB037H
> http://www.habeyusa.com/products_show.php?id=3D353 -- HB-NE785H
>
> The NB037 model is advertised as supporting bluetooth, and the NE785 mode=
> (which I asked about, and I believe to have incorrect docs) is not. =A0To=
 me
> it appears that they have copy/pasted the page for the bluetooth supporti=
ng
> model to the non-bluetooth supporting model.
>
> I was tempted to get the NB037 model anyway but the docs suggest that
> Antenna 2 is required for bluetooth -- I only have one antenna mounting
> position in my ITX case. =A0I am happy to get this card and test for you =
if
> you think I'll actually be able to test bluetooth -- that only Antenna 1 =
is
> required for both wifi and bluetooth. =A0If possible I'd prefer patches
> against 9.0R as the machine its going into is fairly important.

Hi,

Please consider getting two antennas mounted. I can't stress enough
how much of a pain it's going to be having only one antenna - I still
haven't found the time (or someone interested to do the work) to add
the bits to the driver/HAL to support single antenna operation
correctly and consistently. A lot of weird behaviour people complain
about (eg lots of "stuck beacon" and poor throughput) boil down to
only having one antenna connected and the driver just doesn't know to
disable or not use that particular antenna/radio chain.

I'll only be doing development against -HEAD. The -HEAD
ath/hal/net80211 code will compile and run as modules under -9. I'll
publish some instructions on how to do that if you're interested but I
won't be publishing patches against -9 or backporting anything except
bugfixes for quite some time. Sorry, but that's what I can do with
limited time and resources.

Adrian