Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:05:23 -0700
From:      Rumen Telbizov <telbizov@gmail.com>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SAS HBA LSI 9200-8e supported under 8.2?

> Booting from mps (while I had to set up gmirror, as only 12 disks are
> exported
> to BIOS, hence very large raidz's are not allowed to boot from) was not a
> problem either.

What I did into my 48 disk machine was - create a separate 'zroot' pool
comprising of 20G gpt partitions carved of off 8 of those 48 disks
in mirror (yeah paranoia!!!) and boot of them. It works nice since I don't
waste too much space since it's a partition and gives me a lot of
redundancy.
What I have is simply the first vdev consisting of partitions that are 20G
smaller
compared to the rest of the vdevs. All those were organized in raidz2 = 6 x
8disks.

Anyway ... something to consider in the cases when you don't have or you
don't
want to have a dedicated bunch of disks for the operating system.

Cheers

--
Rumen Telbizov
http://telbizov.com