Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:37:16 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rhino64@postmail.ch
Subject:   Re: Geode Xorg Driver

On Monday 07 December 2009 14:48:37 rhino64@postmail.ch wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I use the Alix 1d computer from pcengines to build
> a X terminal and a small mail server.
>
> The Xserver is working with the VESA driver. This is functional
> but a little bit slow. A Xorg driver for this graphic card
> (AMD Geode) exists but it is not available with FreeBSD.
>
> With FreeBSD 7.2, I was able to use the drivers compiled
> for OpenBSD. But due to a version mismatch, they are not usable
> with FreeBSD 8.0 which is installed now.
>
> I have lookup a many places since two days and I can see
> that some persons were able to compile the drivers for formers
> version of BSD.
>
> Could someone explain how to compile the drivers for FreeBSD 8.0 ?
> There is no port, but since a lot of similar drivers (like the VESA) are
> available, it should not be too complicated to compile the geode driver
> (I have got the source on the GIT repository of Xorg).
>
> I have started to compile VESA driver from ports but it fails
> at some points while not finding "gdm-config".
>
> An other solution would be to get the drivers of a Linux
> distribution (normally this should work since Xorg modules are
> platform independents).
>
> Thanks for any help or ideas.
>
> regards,
>
> Alain Aubord

Hi Alain;

John_doe made a port for a vesa driver that works perfectly in FBSD 8 amd64.

The driver is here:
ftp://ftp.lissyara.su/users/Guest/vesa-kmod.diff

instructions:

To apply use
$ cd /usr/ports
$ patch -sp0 -i /path/to/vesa-kmod.diff
$ cd misc/vesa-kmod; make install clean

put vesa_load="YES" into /boot/loader.conf

Here is the thread where I picked it up.

Regards,

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br