Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2014 09:03:02 -0500
From:      Greg Groth <ggroth@gregs-garage.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade from 9.2 Stable to 10.0 Current

For years I have used the stable branch, and have kept my system up to
date using the buildworld process without issue.  During recent new
builds, I went my usual route of installing the base system, immediately
followed by a buildworld against the stable branch, and ran into
numerous issues trying to get things to compile.  I finally threw in the
towel and installed 10.0 release, and am planning on using
freebsd-update on my new installs.

However, I still have a 9.2 install that I'd like to bring up to 10.0,
but the 9.2 installation is using stable, and I'd like to change that to
release.  I've never had issues with version upgrades before, but I've
always stayed in the stable branch.  Is it advisable to change versions
and branches in an upgrade, or would i be better off building a new 10.0
box, and migrating my apps over?

Best regards,

Greg Groth