Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:55:16 +0000
From:      Alastair Hogge <agh@tpg.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   buildkernel - more

[Sorry for starting this in a new thread, but I lost all my emails]

Hello,

In the last episode I had a helpful tip from someone (sorry can't remember
there name :-( ). The tip was to make, make install the kernel from the
kernel directory instead of make buildkernel from /usr/src (the usaul way
right?). Well this tip did help me, I was able to build.install the kernel (
thank you very much someon). This tip was fo systems that hadn't run
make buildworld (?). I had already done the buildworld thing I just still
got errors. Why?

Just to go over what I used to do (using 4.4-STABLE):
<do>
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
cp GENERIC FREEBIE
ee FREEBIE # change ident from GENERIC to FREEBIE
config FREEBIE
cd ../../compile/FREEBIE
make depend
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=FREEBIE
</do>
I would then get the errors with ipfilter.
So after the helpfull tip from <someone> I would
<newdo>
# make depend
make
make install
</newdo>
Now that woked.
I would just like to know why I'm having trouble with my original
way?

TIA