Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:48:47 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD robustness

I have to admit that I'm just a little bit disappointed.  I have
a machine which is acting as our corporate mailhub (all mail traffic
passes through this machine), with the following stats:

     > uname -v
     FreeBSD 2.2-961014-SNAP #0: Tue Oct 15 01:27:25  1996
          jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
     > uptime
     1:43PM  up 586 days,  5:52, 1 user, load averages: 1.11, 1.08, 1.02

The problem?  We apparently are required (by fire department or
insurance regulations) to test our halon system.  This means that
all power to the switch room will be cut for the duration of the
test, and I have to shutdown the machine.

I was hoping to get another 2 years out of it, barring hardware failures.

Oh well.  *sniff*

At least it proves the robustness of the operating system, and I guess
I'll take advantage of the downtime to load 3.1-RELEASE on it.
--
Jonathan