Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:12:10 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, lev@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
Subject:   Re: r239356: does it mean, that synchronous dhcp and dhcplcinet with disabled devd gone?

On 8/21/2012 6:34 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

> Humm.  devd is the more common case, and we explicitly don't use devd to start
> dhclient on boot even when devd is enabled (so out of the box dhcp would first
> be started by rc, but would be restarted by devd).

That sounds reasonable. People who choose not to run devd can be
responsible for restarting dhclient themselves.

> Another option is to rework dhclient to work like it does on OpenBSD where it
> renews its lease if the link bounces, but to not exit when the link goes down.

That would be preferable.

> That case would fix the currently broken case that you unplug your cable, take
> your laptop over to another network (e.g. take it home if suspend/resume
> works), then plug it back in and are still stuck with your old IP.

I do think it's important to fix this case. However I agree with the
chorus of responders that it is more important to maintain our historic
resilience to temporary loss of connectivity.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what