Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 05:09:23 -0400
From:      Steven Walker <walkers@region.durham.on.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thrown into it!

I recently sent the following question to andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu but
just discovered that I should probably be sending it to you. So here it
is....

I'm hoping you may be able to give me a little direction. I am new to
UNIX in general although I can get around, edit etc. We have lost our
only expertise in FreeBSD and we are about to make some changes (below)!

My company has a FreeBSD machine acting as an Internet gateway/IP
translation/mail server. It has a network card which our LAN is
connected to. It also has a 33.6 dial up modem which dials into our ISP.

We do not use registered IP numbers on our LAN so the machine translates

these address' between the network card and modem, so that we can get
out to the Internet from our LAN workstations.

We have recently purchased a Cisco PIX firewall which will take over the

job of IP translation. We have also contracted a new ISP to provide ISDN

connection to the Internet via an ISDN router. All that will be left for

the FreeBSD machine to do is mail serving. My questions are:
1) How do I disable the use of the modem dial up, leaving only the NIC
in place, so that this machine is simply another node on the outside of
the firewall?
2) How do I stop it from performing IP translation?
3) Is there any GUI interface that can help me manage this machine in
it's mail serving capacity?

Thanks for your attention / any help would be greatly appreciated /
Steven Walker