Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2000 10:15:15 -0800
From:      bmah@cisco.com (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Continuing ThinkPad saga

--==_Exmh_-198100181P

(I'm tired of whiny subject lines, even though that's kind of the way I
feel right now.)

If memory serves me right, Ken Key wrote:
> The broken T20's BIOS should have read v1.08a (IYET45WW) - sorry for
> the typo.  The BIOS on the other working T20 is v1.03 (IYET37WW).

Hi Ken--

I've got a T20, type 2647-86W, with BIOS 1.03 (IYET37WW).  Given your
comment above, you'd think that I should have no problems...
unfortunately I bricked it yesterday after installing 4.2-RELEASE.

Details for posterity:  The machine came pre-installed with a Win2K
image plus some other stuff from ${VBRC}'s IT department. [1]  Partition
table looks like:

	ad0s1	Hidden big FAT16 (Win2K Recovery)
	ad0s2	NTFS
	ad0s3	Extended partition, containing:
			NTFS
			Hidden FAT16 (?)
	ad0s4	FreeBSD

After installing, I rebooted into a hang on the startup screen.  I
powered down, removed the hard disk, powered up, and then hot-plugged
the hard disk so that I could reboot back to the FreeBSD CD-ROM. [2]
After "fixing" this problem by zeroing out the partition and diddling
around with Partition Magic again, I had a working machine again, the
main difference from my start state being that I have FreeBSD's boot0 in
the boot blocks.  boot0 appears perfectly capable of loading Win2K on
this machine.

I repeated this experiment again with the same results.

Then I installed 4.2-RELEASE and used fdisk(1) to change the type of my
FreeBSD slice (I picked OpenBSD, which is 0xA6).  Win2K works fine now,
but FreeBSD's boot1 will only do its part of the bootstrap from FreeBSD
(type 0xA5) slices.

So I'm real curious to see why two different machines with the same
firmware behave differently.  Is there any chance of finding out what
the partition table for your T20 with BIOS 1.03 is?

In another thread, Peter Wemm suggested that maybe we could have our
boot1 handle other partition types in addition to our 0xA5.  In my
Copious Spare Time, I'm going to see if I can make up boot blocks that
do this (doesn't seem too hard to do, although I haven't figured out how
to get the boot blocks over to the ThinkPad yet).  Problem is...I'm need
to be doing Real Work (TM) for $VBRC today. :-p

Cheers,

Bruce.

[1] Very Big Router Company.

[2] Yeah, I know.  Don't try this at home, kids.

--==_Exmh_-198100181P

--==_Exmh_-198100181P--