Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:17:33 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are 8K sector sizes sane for geli devices?

In creating a geli encrypted drive, I tried using a sector size of 8K,
but experienced random panics.  I've now switched to 4K and am using
bonnie to stability test the partition.

Is anyone aware of stability issues with geli partitions with blocks
larger than 4K?  The docs indicate that larger block sizes result in
better performance, but make no mention of upper limits.  The handbook
specifically mentions 4K, which is why I backed down to that size:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html

I suppose this could also be a UFS2 issue?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com