Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 19:44:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Scott Mace <smace@crash.ops.neosoft.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: equal cost ip forwarding

On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Scott Mace wrote:

> > what's that?
> > One packet here, one packet there? etc?
>
> Yah, say you have 2 p2p links, and you want the bandwidth spread
> across the 2.  I got the idea from digging through cornell gated...

	i grabbed something off the net called bsd-mslip.tar.gz, a
multi-line slip thingie.   i have not used it myself, havent needed it
yet.  the 'ads' file is at the bottom.

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346

This is modified SLIP (serial line IP) driver for BSDI / 386 1.1.

Main features and differences from standart SLIP driver:

1) Multiline SLIP protocol are realised. It allow you to use
few lines for the same SLIP connection, all this lines would work
in parallel.

2) Keepalive protocol are realised. It checks if any packets are received
from this line, and drop connection (and reestablish it) if no this packets
was received during defined time. In addition, driver can be configured
to wait few packets from the line before interface would be turned on.
Driver can send dummy _keep alive_ packets every N seconds to
keep line _alive_ even if no routing / icmp packets are transmitted
between systems.

3) Driver fixes interface numbers for every line, to prevent
routing problems (most routers dislike if some interface change it's
addresses fast).

4) Driver can turn off BPF protocol on per-port basis.

5) Somwe bugs fixed.

6) interface accounting was added.

There is utilities to work via leased, dial-in and dial-out lines.
This programs allow to receive dialin connections, install  dialout
or leased lines connections (both with and withouth modem's control),
allow to install leased line connections with dialout back-up, and so on.

This driver is used in PC-Based routers - we work with 24 slip lines
via digiboard plates, under heavy load.