Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        lehey.pad@sni.de, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speedup idea for 'make world'

> On Apr 10, 12:45, Greg Lehey wrote:
> } Subject: Re: speedup idea for 'make world'
> } > Being at it, what are usual make world figures? Here are mine on a
> } > 32MB P5/150:
> } >
> } > tail /usr/src/world.log
> } > makewhatis /usr/share/man
> } > make world completed on Wed Apr 10 07:54:10 MET DST 1996
> } >     14049.84 real      8798.35 user      1448.19 sys
> }
> } Mine blew up recently just before the end after elapsed 34000 odd
> } seconds.  I don't think that it was more than a couple of minutes from
> } being finished.  This was a 486DX/2-66 with 32 MB memory and a 1.2 GB
> } IDE disk.
>
> When I only had a DX2/66 in my SP3G, a "make world"
> used to take 25000 seconds of real time. 34000 seems
> a bit high, especially given the fact that I only
> have 16MB of RAM ...

The ASUS PCI/I-SP3G has a very good memory system on it, don't expect
any other 486 class machine to be able to touch this board on performance.

You will find that the memory bandwidth on your board is about 20 to 40%
faster than any other motherboard on the market, except perhaps some of
the very rare boards that use SRAM for main memory.