Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:04:04 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBIOS across a masquerading gateway

> I don't know if this is quite a -hackers question, but I wanted to access
> the expertise in this group.  I have received an inquiry about whether it
> is possible for NetBIOS over TCP/IP to work through a masquerading gateway
> (e.g. natd or ppp -alias).

Eeep.  It should.

> Normally, when confronted with setting up Windows for Workgroups, I hold
> my nose shut and execute whatever mouse clicks and keystrokes seem to get
> things working, but without understanding or remembering the slightest bit
> about Microsoft networking.

Wise move.  8)

> So I have a few questions:
>
>     (1) Can Windows networking work over an
>         IP based wide area network?

Yes.  There are some restrictions relating to browsability and the
vagaries of the browse mechanism, but if you are using the DNS for
WinNS you can map by name.

(Irrelevant anecdote:  We are looking at providing shares off a BSD
system and associated network in one country location to another
several hundred kilometres away, using mpd and some faith; testing
looks like it'll work just fine.)

>     (2) If so, can such networking work across
>         the existing FreeBSD masquerading mechanism
>         in natd and ppp -alias?

I believe so.  The smbclient program manages to access such servers
from an arbitrarily-allocated port on the host system, and I don't see
any way that host/port information could be encoded in the NB-on-TCP
datagram.  I would expect that it should "just work".

mike