Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 14:11:27 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hosting my own domain.

At 5:33 AM -0500 5/7/01, Mike Meyer wrote:

>  I'm not familiar with dyndns, but tzo.com (which is a commercial
>  service) points *any* reference to your TLD at your one IP address. So
>  I can set up www & www2 as name-based virtual hosts. I could even set
>  up www.mike.mired.org as such a server, and gee, look - the MX for
>  mail.mike.mired.org already points to mail.mired.org, so I can use my
>  mail servers virtual domain system to sort out mail for that.

	Interesting.  Do they do this with a wildcard RR?

	I wonder what would happen if people started generating tons of
spam with the return address "garbage@spam.mired.org", or somesuch
other bogus return address, since tzo.com guarantees that all
possible domains under mired.org will be valid?  Just how many
bounces of spam can you take, and how many irate responses can you
deal with?

>  Dynamic DNS is really a poor substitute for having fixed IP addresses
>  if you've got a permanent connection, but in areas where IPSs are thin
>  on the ground, there may not be one that offers static IPs with
>  broadband service.

	Note that a static IP address allocation does not necessarily
mean anything with regards to a full-time connection.  You can easily
have one without the other, in either direction.

	Back when I was a dial-up customer of Heller Information Services
in the DC area, I was assigned a static IP address, even though I was
on a modem and connected at most one or two hours a night.  Over
here, I have a whole network assigned to me, but I'm behind an
Ethernet/ISDN router that is dial-on-demand, and will disconnect
after a certain amount of idle time.

	Conversely, many broadband services give you a full-time (24x7
allowed) connection, but they may assign IP addresses dynamically.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */