Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:01:53 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netmap support in default kernel

--------------enig27DD0A891555D3FC6DD26C4A

On 20/02/2012 23:00, Tim Stewart wrote:
> I just heard about netmap
> <http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3D2103536>today and it seems like
> it's not baked into the default FreeBSD kernel at
> the moment.
>=20
> Are there plans to integrate netmap into the default FreeBSD kernel?
>=20
> If so, what is an estimated time line for its inclusion in the default
> kernel?

Given the performance figures quoted in that article, I certainly hope
so.  Actually, looking at the system sources:

worm:/usr/src:% find . -iname '*netmap*'
=2E/sys/net/netmap_user.h
=2E/sys/net/netmap.h
=2E/sys/dev/netmap
=2E/sys/dev/netmap/ixgbe_netmap.h
=2E/sys/dev/netmap/if_em_netmap.h
=2E/sys/dev/netmap/netmap.c
=2E/sys/dev/netmap/if_igb_netmap.h
=2E/sys/dev/netmap/netmap_kern.h
=2E/sys/dev/netmap/if_lem_netmap.h
=2E/sys/dev/netmap/if_re_netmap.h
=2E/tools/tools/netmap
=2E/share/man/man4/netmap.4

Looks like it's already available in stable/9, but not in versions
earlier than 9.x.  Closer inspection shows that would have to be
compiled into a custom kernel in order to be used.

Note that each different network adaptor needs special coding in order
to support netmap, so judging by the above, you'ld need any of ixgbe(4),
em(4), igb(4) or re(4).  Or whatever lem is -- doesn't have a man page,
but it seems to be some sort of variant on em(4).

On your specific question of when it might become part of a default
kernel, I can't say.  However, you might get a more knowledgeable answer
if you ask on freebsd-hackers@... or freebsd-net@...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20