Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:10:05 -0800
From:      Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
Subject:   Re: [NFS] Incompatible: FreeBSD 4.2 client, Linux 2.2.18 nfsv3 server, read-only export

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 04:29:30PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Okay. So, as a conclusion, my original bug report boils down to:
>
> "You cannot mount read-only file systems with NFS v3 from a Linux 2.2.18
> server to a FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE client. Use NFS v2 instead."
>
> The question remains: Linux kernel problem or FreeBSD client problem?

I'd consider the Linux kernel sending NFS3ERR_ROFS over the wire in the
response to an ACCESS call checking write access to be an error on the
part of the Linux NFS server, as

	1) the spec doesn't list NFS3ERR_ROFS as a valid reply

and

	2) as per my other mail, it means it can't properly report
	   what's permitted if the ACCESS call checks both read and write
	   access - NFS3ERR_ROFS doesn't say "reading is OK, writing
	   isn't"

Presumably that's why the protocol spec doesn't list NFS3ERR_ROFS

(Perhaps it would've been better had the V3 protocol specified that
either 0 or an NFS3ERR_xxx value be supplied for each of the permission
bits checked, although that raises the question of whether any server
would, say, allow read access and allow write access but disallow
simultaneous read/write access.)

One might also consider it a FreeBSD client problem that it can't cope
with this, if the Solaris client can, although that one might be a
weaker claim (i.e., the Linux server is arguably violating the spec,
whilst the FreeBSD client is merely apparently not doing as good a job
of coping with servers violating the spec as the Solaris client is, in
this case).