Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 2002 12:34:54 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Roman Jasin <cityangels@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connection drops after some time

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:06:39 +0300  Roman Jasin wrote:
 +------------------
 | I guess the problem is my ISP, but I'm not sure about that. Plus those
 | guys aren't very helpful, so I'm hoping to fix it w/o them. It proved to
 | be the fastest path in the past.
 |
 | Here is what happening with my FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE box, running Apache,
 | sshd, and sendmail. It becomes inaccessible from outside world after
 | less than an hour if I'm not doing something on it. As soon as I access
 | something from it, whether via http or simple  ping, it comes back
 | online and you can see it from the outside. It looks like it forgets
 | ISP's default router address. APM is not an issue simply because it's
 | disabled. I tried everything, even replacing the NIC and the box itself.
 | I'm on RadioDSL with BreezeAccess antenna, and like I said I don't have
 | problems with the accessing Internet. The problem is that the outside
 | world can't 'see' my server if I don't access the Internet from it for a
 | while.
 | Hope it makes sense.
 |
 | Any help is very appreciated,

An obvious work around is to put something that tickles the net into
crontab:

    */20 * * * * ping -c 3 www.myisp.com > /dev/null 2>&1

But that does not address the "real" problem.  I suspect that it is a
policy issue on the ISP or layer2 provider that is timing out your DSL
virtual circuit.

--
    Chris Fedde