Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:42:34 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting speed benchmarks

--ULyIDA2m8JTe+TiX

On Sat, 2007-Jan-27 11:54:37 -0500, Brian Reichert wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 09:43:52AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> Note that dump/restore is the only tool that can correctly reproduce
>> sparse files.  tar, cpio and pax also have filename and file size
>> restrictions.  I don't think that cpio or pax support ACLs or file
>> flags.
>
>I thought 'star' handled sparse files and all the extra magic?  Not
>that this is germaine to the topic at hand...

You can detect a sparse file by comparing the length of the file
with the number of allocated blocks.  You can't determine whether a
specific block is all NULLs or not allocated without either bypassing
the filesystem (which dump does) or using a syscall to retrieve a
bitmap of allocated blocks (which FreeBSD doesn't have). =20

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--ULyIDA2m8JTe+TiX

--ULyIDA2m8JTe+TiX--