Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:09:00 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dell T105? ($350 dual-core Opteron)

--nextPart32384406.7d5tQoNgAs

On Thursday 20 December 2007, Chris Shenton wrote:
> [I'm adding -current as there are other discussions of hardware
>  compatibility there, trim if appropriate]
>
> Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org> writes:
> > =20
> > http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/pe_T105_spec_s
> >heet.pdf
> >
> >   Processors              Single AMD Opteron TM  1000 series at up to
> > 2.8GHz; Single AMD SempronTM LE1250 at 2.2GHz
> >
> >   HyperTransportTM        HyperTransport at 2000MT/s
> >
> >   Chipset                 nVidia CK8-04 Pro
> >
> >   Network Interfaces       Single embedded Gigabit3 NIC
>
> I installed FreeBSD 7.0-BETA4 amd64 this morning and it boots fine,
> detects both CPUs, but can't seem to find a driver for the ethernet. It
> doesn't offer anything at install time (only slip and ppp) and shows
> nothing in ifconfig when running.
>
> The one thing I see in dmesg is:
>
>   pci2: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
>
> Some pages I've found say this is a Broadcom 5721J chipset:
>
> =20
> http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/servers_Q4_W5_20
>07-12-01_pedge_t105_Q421211?c=3Dmy&cs=3Dmybsd1&l=3Den&s=3Dbsd
>
> An Ubuntu message says they see it with a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722
> driver:
>

> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3D3961378
>
> Any suggestions on how I can poke at it to find what kind of hardware
> it's using and what driver I need to use for it?

Sounds like the bge(4) driver might work.  Take a look at "pciconfig -lv"=20
to identify the chip and PCI vendor id.  Try adding that information to=20
src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c::bge_devs[] and subsequent chip revision arrays. =
=20
It's easiest to build a kernel w/o device bge and loading bge from=20
modules.  This way you can cd to src/sys/modules/bge and "make load;=20
#test; make unload; #change source; #repeat" until it works.

=2D-=20