Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:30:44 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        jfvogel@gmail.com, petefrench@ticketswitch.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Opteron system will not run SMP

> If just non-ACPI isnt sufficient, the other thing SAFE does is turn
> off disk DMA. I have an as-yet unreleased system that has this
> same type of issue, and the problem is that two PCI device ID's
> are not recognized, so maybe that will be your problem.

So, I got around to booting the system without ACPI and there are quite
a number of 'unknown' reports at boot, viz:

unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources (memory)
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)

pciconf -l gives me 5 devices without drivers attached, these being:

none0@pci0:7:2: class=0x0c0500 card=0x13101462 chip=0x746a1022 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)'
    device   = 'AMD-8111 SMBus 2.0 Controller'
    class    = serial bus
    subclass = SMBus
none1@pci0:7:3: class=0x068000 card=0x13101462 chip=0x746b1022 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)'
    device   = 'AMD-8111 ACPI System Management Controller'
    class    = bridge
none2@pci0:10:1:        class=0x080010 card=0x13101462 chip=0x74511022 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)'
    device   = 'AMD-8131 PCI-X IOAPIC'
    class    = base peripheral
    subclass = interrupt controller
none3@pci0:11:1:        class=0x080010 card=0x13101462 chip=0x74511022 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)'
    device   = 'AMD-8131 PCI-X IOAPIC'
    class    = base peripheral
    subclass = interrupt controller
none4@pci3:6:0: class=0x030000 card=0x13101462 chip=0x47521002 rev=0x27 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'Rage XL PCI'
    class    = display
    subclass = VGA

I am assuming that it's only the two interrup controller ones which are
likely to be causing the problems - but other people are using 8111/8131 based
systems fine. Also I note that other SMP systems I have uuse 'none' as the
driver for these chips.

Does this help shed any more light at all ?

thanks,

-pete.