Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 14:32:54 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re: libXExExt

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 09:10:22AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> This looks like a typo to me, but I can't decide whether it's yours or
>>> something that got included in your system.  In any case, it's almost
>>> certainly looking for libXext.<mumble>.  It should be in
>>> /usr/X11R6/lib.
>>
>> It appears to be a brain seize in the ports, then. fvwm wants it,
>> ddd wanted it... I've tried others, but don't remember what they were at
>> the moment. I linked libXext.<mumble> to libXExExt.<mumble>, and all is
>> now working fine. The ports set I'm working with was last weeks (round
>> about 9/4 or so) ports-current.
>
>Thanks for that.  I had more or less written this off as lack of
>knowledge on my part.  Or is there really a libXExExt?

libXExExt existed in some earlier XFree86 releases (I think 3.1.2 was
the last release to include it).  It was a bad idea, but unfortunately
it wasn't realised just how bad until some time after it had been
released.

Having said that, if an Imakefile is referring to it directly, the
Imakefile is broken (the fvwm 1.x Imakefile is *VERY* broken -- which
I discovered when building it for Solaris 2.5.1/X11R6.3).  If you have
an auto-generated Makefile that refers to it, maybe it is out of date,
or your imake config files are old.  If you have such a Makefile that
is not auto-generated, then it isn't portable when it comes to building
X11 applications.

This shouldn't be a run-time issue since I don't think we (XFree86)
made the mistake of ever building a shared libXExExt (which would have made
the bad idea even worse).

David