Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 00:38:48 -0500
From:      Burke Gallagher <burke@mcs.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recommendations for a perl book?

At 09:19 PM 7/5/99 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

>   The Webster's dictionary port is done, first pass.  However it
>   was originally written ad hoc and needs an overhaul.  I want to
>   rewrite parts or all in perl and would like the lists' recommendations
>   on a perl book.  Comprehensive and for beginners!
>
>   Suggestions?

for my money the O'Reilly books are the best:
These just stay on my desk. (for quick reference)
    Perl 5 Desktop reference,  Johna Vromans
    PERL in a Nutshell,  Siever, Spainhour & Patwardhan

These are on my bookshelf in order of beginner to advanced.
   Learning Perl,      Randal Schwartz
   Programming Perl,   Wall, Christiansen & Schwartz
   Mastering Regular Expressions,   Jeffrey Friedl (techincally not a perl
book but regex is the keys to the kingdom)
   Effective Perl Programming,    Hall & Schwartz (Addison-Wesley)
   Perl Cookbook,      Christiansen & Torkington
   Advanced Perl Programming,    Sriam Srinvasan

if you need a graphical interface to your program.
   Learning Perl/Tk,    Nancy Walsh

a subscription to "The Perl Journal" never hurts either.

Burke