Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 22:00:24 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: board not responding

Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com> wrote:

> ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 1 int a irq 10 on pci:0:10:0
> ahc0: aic7800 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
> ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> (ahc0:0:0): "IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 4357MB (8925000 512 byte sectors)
> ahc0: board is not responding
     [ ... ]
> (term)     (auto)                    (term)
> IBM HD <-> 2940UW <-> Mitsumi CD <-> HP 4020 CD/RW
>      68 pin     50 pin         50 pin

     The "IBM DDRS-34560D" is an LVD drive (I've got this exact drive,
with the same firmware rev).  For this IBM LVD drive, what appears to be
the "term" jumper is really the jumper that controls LVD vs SE HVD
(single-ended HVD), and "enabling termination" really puts the drive
into single-ended mode.  You also need an external terminator with this
drive (with all LVD drives, actually); there is no built-in termination
to enable or disable.

     As your diagram doesn't show an explicit external terminator with
the drive, that might be your problem: no termination.

[ In my case, I ordered a "wide SCSI" drive, expecting an SE HVD drive.
  I received an LVD drive, instead.  While this is certainly a "wide
  SCSI" drive, it was unexpected, as I had to scramble to find some
  ribbon cable termination.  I'm not really complaining, mind you; I'd
  rather have an LVD drive than a plain SE HVD one, as it'll be much
  easier for me to upgrade to an LVD controller, should I decide to do
  so.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.