Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:39:24 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Downey <redchin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crash Dump

--rWhLK7VZz0iBluhq

On Monday, 30 May 2005 at 23:28:38 -0700, Kevin Downey wrote:
> first off:
> FreeBSD zifnab 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #0: Mon May 30 07:53:44
> PDT 2005     kevin@zifnab:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SEE_NO_EVIL  i386
> built from sources cvsuped yesterday (the 29th of May) ontop of the
> SNAP002 or whatever it was called from March.
>
> Now, I am getting what seem to me, to be random crashes. Of course
> there are many things in this world which seem random to me because I
> do not know what is going on. These crashes indubitably fall in to
> this category of things.
> I figure the best way to learn more about this is to ask other people.
> And I also know that when asking other people, particular this list,
> it is a good idea to be in possession of various background
> information. But, and here is the twist, when the panic happens, the
> 'dumping X megabytes of memory`, or whatever the exact wording is,
> message pops up, and then just sits there for however long I am
> willing to let the machine sit(2 hours is the upper limit on that).
> The IDE activity LED does not blink(I assume it should be blinking if
> the memory is being dumped to swap on an IDE drive), it does blink
> when I hit keys on the keyboard.

Sounds like the crash involves block I/O, so you're not able to dump.
Try remote debugging.  See the handbook or
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Papers/Debug-tutorial/tutorial.pdf for
details.

> dmesg from the machine: http://kevin.is.a.zombie.org/dmesg
> kernel config: http://kevin.is.a.zombie.org/SEE_NO_EVIL
>
> kevin@zifnab:~% swapinfo
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> /dev/ad0s1b       2572288    19972  2572288     1%

This won't be your issue here, but the only important thing is that
the swap partition should be slightly larger than RAM (about 64 kB or
so).

> And on a somewhat unrelated note, I get hard lockups(have to hit the
> reboot button to reboot) when playing videos using xv(have not tried
> other options). It does happen somewhat intermittently, mostly if I
> play more than one video file in a row.

We don't know yet if this is unrelated.

Greg
--
The virus contained in this message was not detected.

Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

--rWhLK7VZz0iBluhq

--rWhLK7VZz0iBluhq--