Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:33:54 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Kenneth McNicholas <mcnichok@UG.CS.SUNYSB.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help- 2 hard drvs

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Kenneth McNicholas wrote:

> Hi...
> Currently I have a WD 2.1 gig IDE hard drive running MSDOS (Win95)
> and a second WD 420Mb hard drive which is set up as a slave drive.
> I'm trying to install FREEBSD on the 420Mb hard drive; when I do,
> the boot manager doesn't install correctly.  I would like the
> boot manager to let me choose to boot off of DISK 2.  Please help
> me in setting this up correctly.
> I also have a Disk Manager Drive Overlay on the 2.1 Gig HD.  As you
> might know, it allows the normal BIOS to recognize a HD greater than
> 528 MB.
I don't know what that DiskManager will do to you. I guess it's not too
good anyhow. Why not use a "modern" EIDE controller? Those can directly
access up to 8.4GB on a disk.
Anyhow, assuming that Overlay will do no harm (a very optimistic
assumption) you'll have to install the boot manager on the first disk. To
do that, either do it manually (from DOS, using bootinst in the CD's
tools directory) or by telling the installation program that you want
FreeBSD to use both disks, and not change the partition table on the
first one. You will be asked for the boot sector on each disk separately.
Specify the boot manager for the first disk, and standard boot for the
second.

Again, I'm afraid you'll have trouble with that Overlay of yours, so I
can't say that what I recommended wouldn't mess up your disk completly.
Take care (and backup before you start).