Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:13:35 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        racerx@makeworld.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If I have portmanager, do I need portupgrade?

On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:40 pm, Chris wrote:
> Chris Hodgins wrote:
> > Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> >> Not for upgrading.  portsclean (a part of portsupgrade package) is
> >> a nice feature of portupgrade, so is pkg_which and a few others so
> >> I keep portupgrade around just the same.
> >>
> >> -Mike
> >
> > How long does it take to run portmanager.  Is it a similar amount
> > of time as portupgrade for each run?
> >
> > Chris
>
> The time is about the same (in my experiance) AND (most importantly)
> portmanager seems to handle upgrading better then portupgrade does.
>
> IE: Thunderbird, Gnome, Firefox.
>
> Another nifty thing is that portmanager creates a package and dumps
> it in /usr/ports/mail/thunderbird (for example) and at least for me,
> I can pkg_add that to my laptop since they both run 5.3

Chris, check and see if you have a /usr/ports/packages directory.  If
you do then all the packages will end up in /usr/ports/packages/All and
a tree of symlinks will be made under /usr/ports/packages for the ports
that have packages.

For some reason when you first set up FreeBSD/ports it does not make
the /usr/ports/packages directory so the packages end up in the ports
directory, this isn't a good place for them, here is why:

When a port is removed, see /usr/ports/MOVED, cvsup should be able to
delete the directory but if a package is setting in there it can't, so
over time you will come across port directories that have just a
package in it and maybe a readme.html file but nothing else.  It will
keep things leaner/cleaner if the packages directory exists.  I keep
meaning to submit a PR about the missing packages directory but never
seem to get around to it :(

One other thing just to let you know, I've been testing portmanager
against this new gnome update, when its done there is a bunch of
gstreamer-plugins-* left un-upgraded.  I just tried
pkg_delete -f gstreamer-plugins-* on them and let portmanager -u bring
them back in, it seems to be working but I also cvsup'ed and there is
so many new changes it will be awhile before I know for sure.

Right now I'm telling anyone who asks to try  pkg_delete -f
gstreamer-plugins-* first before upgrading with portmanager if they use
gnome.

-Mike