Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 03:21:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        elh_fbsd@spnet.com, questions@freebsd.org, elh@spnet.com
Subject:   Re: kernel options for > 64mby

> >	i hate to ask a question that has been asked and
> >	answered a few times before, but...
> >
> >	what kernel options/files require modification for
> >	a machine with > 64mby?
>
> add this to your kerel config file:
>
> options		"MAXMEM=131072"
>

> ...where "131072" is the size of memory in Kbytes - in the above example, this
> would be 128MB (128*1024). Someday I'll try to make this a bit more automatic.

Under OSF I made it go hunting if it thought that there might be more..
basically, if the BIOS says 64MB (well I use >=63MB as I don't trust Bios's)
I do memory tests upwards till I start getting failures..

The trick is to do this BEFORE YOU SWITCH ON PAGING
so that you don't get pagefaults..

I could send you the code  but it PROBABLY doesn't apply directly,
and you'd probably do better implimenting it yourself once you've
heard the idea of how I did it..