Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 20:41:38 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xircom modem in mini-pci combo card for thinkpad A21p ?

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 02:45:08PM -0400, ~/.signature wrote:
> > | sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> >
> > No the sio0 is the external serial port.
>
> but I also caught  sio1

On my Thinkpad -- which admittedly is a somewhat ancient 380D, so things
may have changed -- sio1 is the IR port.  You'd probably need to configure
that through the BIOS as well, if you plan to use it.  Although we don't
have any IrDA support in FreeBSD (yet -- I believe people are working on
it) so you won't have much joy if you do try :(

> > BTW go into the BIOS and
> > configure it.  I will probably crash you machine if you try to use.
> > This is typical of factory shipped ThinkPads.  After you configure
> > the serial port it should come up as a 16550.
>
> Bt this still is just the external serial, isn't it? I can't think of
> anything I'd do with it.
>
> >Use "tip" to access
> > the serial port.  It is part of the base system.
>
> I've scoured the man page, but don't seem to see a way to tell it which
> serial port to use.

I tend to use 'cu' for this kind of thing.  I think it's the -l option that
lets you name a port device directly.

Getting back to your original question, I still think you've probably got
yourself a WinModem.  What's the model number on the card?

	Scott