Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 95 16:21 MET
From:      me@tartufo.muc.ditec.de (Michael Elbel)
To:        daveh@eskimo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quantum Atlas SCSI HD's

In lists.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hello all,

>I was wondering what experiences anybody's had with the Quantum Atlas =
>SCSI hard drives, specifically the 2.1Gb XP32150S and the 4.3Gb XP34300S =
>models. Are they noisy, hot and unreliable? Quiet, cool and dependable? =
>I'm looking to get around 6Gb, and I'm still pretty skeptical when it =
>comes to buying Conner's.

We're running the 4 gig versions in a couple of machines here. At
least the batch we've got is a bit noisy (but then I like it if I hear
when the machine is doing something). They get warm but not too hot
(no problem mounting them in the 3 1/2 inch bay in a big tower with no
fan blowing at them directly). But what counts for me is, they
*scream*. Not only do they get in excess of 7MB/sec throughput through
the filesystem, they perform excellent generally. I haven't had any
probllems with them yet.

They are not the new Atlas II drives, those should be faster even.

We have 4 Gig Conners in those NT servers I couldn't prevent and they
seem way slower, although they're not as nosiy.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, DITEC, Muenchen, Germany - me@muc.ditec.de
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)