Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:47:16 +0530
From:      Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        pryan@singnet.com.sg
Subject:   Re: cannot install KDE3 or KDE-LITE from ports

Yeh you do because KDE is NOT just kde, its a bunch of other libraries
included, which wont compile a a dependency as the libraries required
are already present in the system. Only the catch is the libraries are
old. SO yo need a portupgrade. As you say that its a freshly installed
system, I would say go for a cvsup and a rebuild of the main tree
because of two reasons. Firstly the stock tree and kernel has loads of
compatibility features which can be eleminated for good. You can also
put optimization flags ( man make.conf, the CFLAGS section) which
would largely affect the install.

Regards
S.