Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:20:21 +0100
From:      Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with man and less/more

Hi list,

I just stumbled across a oddity when I use the `man'-command piped
through `less' or `more'.

What I do is the following:
1. $ man $some_program
	This works without problems.
2. $ man $some_program | less  or: $ man $some_program | more
	This works without problems until I type `q' to return to the terminal.
Then the following message appears on the screen[tm] an I get my
shell-prompt:

Error executing formatting or display command.
system command exited with status 36096
Error executing formatting or display command.
system command exited with status 36096
No manual entry for less
$

For some man-pages (it seems the category doesn't matter), the message
is two lines shorter:

Error executing formatting or display command.
system command exited with status 36096
No manual entry for X
$

There's no difference whether I use `less' or `more'.

My system is 6.2-PRERELEASE with sources from November 12th:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD herdubreid.xxx.xxx.de 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0:
Sun Nov 12 16:02:01 CET 2006
pj@herdubreid.xxx.xxx.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HERDUBREIDKERNEL  i386

Sorry if my report is unclear in some way. If you need more information,
let me know. I will do my best to provide it ;)
I can also provide some ktrace output if necessary.

Regards,
Philipp
--
www.familie-ost.info/~pj