Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 10:18:51 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembly programming under FreeBSD

* James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu> [000603 08:21] wrote:
> Having just read Konstantin Boldyshev's introduction to FreeBSD assembly
> programming, I have a couple of questions.
>
> When I looked through some code in the source tree (and with a little
> background from the article), I noticed that INT 80 interface appears to
> be newer than an older interface, "CALL 7:0".  When we was this change
> made and why?  Why was INT 80 chosen?  Since this is the same as Linux's
> interface, does this simplfy Linux emulation?  Hinder it?
>
> Also, this is more general, what does "CALL 7:0" do?
>
> Sorry for the silly question, I got curious.

I could be totally off base, but I'm pretty sure (from memory) that
the lcall interface is the ICBS interface (some standard for x86
unix binaries), the int 80 interface is supposedly quicker on more
recent CPUs so it's now the default.

I'm pretty certain that FreeBSD will still honor any program that
uses the lcall interface.